I have, in fact, seen this very thing just recently.  The situation was
this:  an executive had setup an OOF message with a rule that forwarded all
of their email to their home email address.  Well, sure enough their home
email reached it's limit and started to play ping pong with their office
email.  By the time we caught it (this was on a weekend) their office email
had over 20,000 "postmaster" and "Message Delivery failure" messages in it.
I immediately killed the forwarding rule and notified the Help Desk in case
the executive called in.

While this may not be exactly what you enviioned it is nonetheless an
example of what can happen iun such circumstances.

Cheers.

Nate Couch
EDS Messaging