When I had similar issues between the core Exchange servers in Houston and a
remote one in Italy, that the queues in the MTAs would bunch up behind a
large message.   After extensive Exchange troubleshooting (in vain) it
turned out we had a "dirty" WAN circuit - when that was replaced mail flow
returned to normal.  Strange thing was that it appeared fine, Terminal
services to the remote box didn't bomb and pings were fine [1], although it
transpired that the circuit was dropping a hell of a lot of packets.

Concentrate on troubleshooting the network, I'd be surprised if it's an
Exchange issue....

[1]  Crude I know.
<>

Event ID 57:  Source: MSExchangeMTA  Type: Warning  Category: X.400 Service
        The limit on the number of associations allowed to and from entity
(X.400 address) has been reached.       The limit is 9. [MTA XFER-IN 19
34](12)

Event ID 289:  Source: MSExchangeMTA  Type: Warning  Category: X.400 Service
        A connection to (X.400 address) could not be opened [MTA XFER-IN 19
26](12)

Event ID 1290:  Source: MSExchagneMTA  Type: Warning  Category: X.400
Service
        A locally initiated association to (X.400 address) was refused. The
failure reason provider was 0
        and the reason was 0. Control block index 6. Type 1. [PLATFORM
KERNEL 25 130](12)

Event ID 9202: Source: MSExchangeMTA  Type: Warning  Category: Operating
System
        A sockets error 10061 on an accept[] call was detected. The MTA will
attempt to recover the sockets  connection.     Control block index: /.
[BASE IL TCP/IP DRVR 8 256](12)