General recommendation is to keep Exchange off your domain controllers, in
all but the smallest environments. It sounds like you're well beyond small
environments, so that's a good start.

The best estimator I've seen is to use a 4-to-1 ratio of CPUs in Exchange to
GCs. So, 4 Exchange servers with 4 processors each would be 16 processors,
therefore needing 4 processors of GC.

I'd find the scenario of 4 single processor Exchange servers hosting a large
number of users each to be scary at best.

Roger D. Seielstad - MCSE
Sr. Systems Administrator
Inovis - Formerly Harbinger and Extricity
Atlanta, GA