http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=7031&source=
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Beckwith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Exchange Discussions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 14:11
Subject: Exchange 2000 Services crashing and server rebooting...

I have a question to run by the list that I have been unsuccessful in
finding any definitive answers to anywhere else. About a month ago, we
started having problems with our Exchange 2000 server. It is Ex2K SP3
running on Win2K SP3. At intervals between a couple days and a week, we
notice that a number of System Services shut down unexpectedly. Upon looking
at the event logs we see the following sequence of events.

Event Id: 7031 The IIS Admin Service service terminated unexpectedly...
Event Id: 7031 The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service terminated
unexpectedly...
Event Id: 7031 The Network News Transport (NNTP) service terminated
unexpectedly...
Event Id: 7031 The Microsoft Exchange POP3 terminated unexpectedly...
Event Id: 7031 The Microsoft Exchange Routing Engine service terminated
unexpectedly...
Event Id: 7031 The Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) service terminated
unexpectedly...
Event Id: 7031 The World Wide Web Publishing service terminated
unexpectedly...

On 2 occasions, this sequence was followed by the server rebooting on its
own and generating an event ID 6008 "the previous shutdown...was
unexpected."

I searched the MSKB and the only thing I could find that seemed to relate
was a reference to lingering issues from the CodeRed virus. I used Trend
Micro's system cleanup application and confirmed that there were no
indications of infection on the server.

I am hoping there are others out there that may have seen something like
this that can offer some suggestions short of reinstalling the entire
system. Please help.

Thanks in advance...

Ray Beckwith
Network Administrator
California Credit Union League
Information Technology
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.ccul.org

Thought for the day:
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a
very narrow field.
--Niels Bohr

An expert is someone who knows some of the worst mistakes that can be made
in his subject, and how to avoid them.
--Werner Karl Heisenberg