The fact that you're asking for help on an incredibly well documented
process that has also been beaten to death over the 7-8 years of this lists
existance probably garnered you a response you weren't happy with.

There's this really cool document called "The Exchange 5.5 Disaster Recovery
Whitepaper, Version 3" which is freely downloadable from Microsoft's web
site. Have you even read that?

IIRC, you also wanted to do a restore using Backup Exec from a tape created
by ArcServe. That can't be done, they're completely different tape formats.
You're going to need to get a copy of ArkenServer and use that. Its also
possible that CA's new product, Brightstor[1], won't be able to recover the
tapes.

Your best bet might be to contact some data recovery services to see what
options they provide.

Roger D. Seielstad - MTS MCSE MS-MVP
Sr. Systems Administrator
Inovis Inc.

[1] CA follows the adage that once they've out of good will in the
marketplace with a product, they'll just rename the product and sell it to a
whole new set of unsuspecting dupes