From: Matt Plahtinsky [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 1:52 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: POP = Bad? -- SMTP = Good?

List,

This might be more appropriate for a firewall/security list but it
involves email and I don't belong to one of those yet so I'll post my
question here.  I'm curious as to how many of your companies allow
internal clients to access POP mail externally.  The reason I'm asking
is because I see POP mail as security risk.  Let me explain.  Our
firewall strips all but a few attachments from our incoming SMTP email.
With POP however attachments cannot be striped leaving a hole for new
virus that aren't detectable yet by our virus software.  I'm going to
try to talk management into letting me block POP.  Is blocking incoming
POP something other company do?  Is there some other way to secure
incoming POP mail?

Matt