From: Roger Seielstad [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2003 10:54 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Outlook/Exchange/VPN connectivity problem

Nope. Not DNS.

MTU size. Do a technet search on MTU (or check with your VPN client vendor
if you're not using the built in client) and find out how to set the MTU to
<1500 (we use 1400).

Outlook has a nasty habit of setting the Do Not Fragment bit on
communications, and sends it at the existing MTU size. The VPN client then
encapulates the packet and adds to the packet size, exceeding the network's
MTU. The first hop router then generates an ICMP reply basically saying the
packet needs to be fragmented by DF flag is set (Don't Fragment Flag).

You can test it with the following command while connected via VPN.
        ping -l 1536 -f ipaddress

1536 is the standard Ethernet MTU. Try dropping that to 1400 and seeing if
it works. I'd bet that's your culprit.

Roger D. Seielstad - MTS MCSE MS-MVP
Sr. Systems Administrator
Inovis Inc.