From: Durkee, Peter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 7:28 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Delivery to Alternate MX Records

Hi All,
I'm a bit puzzled by something and I'm hoping that someone can help out.
There's a particular domain, seanet.com, that we can't send messages to
at the moment. Any message sent to this domain hangs in the IMC queue
with the error, 452 4.3.0 Cannot write message to disk. According to
this ISP's support group they've recently reconfigured their main mail
server so it can no longer receive messages from the outside world, and
I assume that the error we're seeing is a result of this
reconfiguration. They further claim that our server should try to
deliver messages to their second or third mail server, something it
definitely isn't doing.

So here are my questions. Should an Exchange server (5.5, by the way)
try the next MX record after getting a 452 from the primary server, and
are there any settings in Exchange that affect this behavior? As an
additional philosophical question, does it strike anyone else as strange
that they should deliberately put an essentially malfunctioning server
at the address of their first MX record in the name of spam fighting and
security?

-Peter

This message is private or privileged.  If you are not the
person for whom this message is intended, please delete it
and notify me immediately, and please do not copy or send
this message to anyone else.