From: Dean Cunningham [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 8:41 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Re: Delivery to Alternate MX Records

IMNSHO their logic is screwed. The MX records work as follows

Get me a list of MX records for the domain seanet.com [done]
Can I connect to highest priority MX record ?
Yes = try and send the email
No = try next MX record

Under Yes, if having trouble sending email , exchange server retries but
because server can always connect to highest priority MX record, it will
keep choosing to use that one until the message holding peroid for your
exchange server times it out and sends the message back to the server.

The people at seanet.com need to block port 25 for their server with the
highest priority MX record. this will then force the exchange server to
use the next available MX record.

Whilst not exactly explained see

ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2821.txt
and
http://www.rfc-editor.org

for a 452 error your sherver should be (and is ) reacting as follows

4yz   Transient Negative Completion reply
      The command was not accepted, and the requested action did not
      occur.  However, the error condition is temporary and the action
      may be requested again.  The sender should return to the beginning
      of the command sequence (if any).  It is difficult to assign a
      meaning to "transient" when two different sites (receiver- and
      sender-SMTP agents) must agree on the interpretation.  Each reply
      in this category might have a different time value, but the SMTP
      client is encouraged to try again.  A rule of thumb to determine
      whether a reply fits into the 4yz or the 5yz category (see below)
      is that replies are 4yz if they can be successful if repeated
      without any change in command form or in properties of the sender
      or receiver (that is, the command is repeated identically and the
      receiver does not put up a new implementation.)

cheers
dean

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 9/09/2003 11:28:04 a.m. >>>
Hi All,
I'm a bit puzzled by something and I'm hoping that someone can help out.
There's a particular domain, seanet.com, that we can't send messages to
at the moment. Any message sent to this domain hangs in the IMC queue
with the error, 452 4.3.0 Cannot write message to disk. According to
this ISP's support group they've recently reconfigured their main mail
server so it can no longer receive messages from the outside world, and
I assume that the error we're seeing is a result of this
reconfiguration. They further claim that our server should try to
deliver messages to their second or third mail server, something it
definitely isn't doing.

So here are my questions. Should an Exchange server (5.5, by the way)
try the next MX record after getting a 452 from the primary server, and
are there any settings in Exchange that affect this behavior? As an
additional philosophical question, does it strike anyone else as strange
that they should deliberately put an essentially malfunctioning server
at the address of their first MX record in the name of spam fighting and
security?

-Peter

         Northland State of the Environment Report 2002
                     now online at  www.nrc.govt.nz
NORTHLAND REGIONAL COUNCIL