From: pat karr [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 9:26 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: exchange 5.5 private stores and purging

Hi all,

I run an Exchange 5.5 SP4 server on Win NT 4.0.  Over the weekend it reached
it 16GB threshold and I had to defrag it using the ESEUTIL.
Afterwards, I made a backup and began clearing out over 100 accounts that
contained close to 8GB's worth of data (according to the privates stores
resources area).  After which, I went back and viewed the size of the
PRIV.EDB and it remained the same size as it was before the purging.  It was
explained to me that I needed to run another backup and did so.
Nothing has changed on the size of the PRIV.EDB database, shows 14.7 GB's.
I even ran the ESEUTIL once afterwards and another backup.  I am using
Brightstor Enterprise Backup.  Once again nothing changed.  Does anyone know
why this is happening and how I can recover all of the space that I cleared?

best regards,

Pat