From: Martin Reilly [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2001 2:10 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Anit-Virus Software for Exchange

HOWEVER...

If you do decide to try GroupShield from Network Associates, do NOT,
repeat NOT, test it out on a server you care about. Do it on a test
server that you build just for the purpose, on a separate network and in
a separate Exchange organisation from your production environment. If
you can arrange to do it on a separate continent (or better still
another planet), that would be even better. ;)

Seriously... having looked at several products, GroupShield is the only
one that causes lasting damage. You'll spend weeks trying to rid your
organisation of it's left-overs (changes to your organisation forms
library, just for example) if you try to uninstall it. GroupShield
sucks. It's terrible. It is truly awful software. Frankly, it makes
Lotus Notes/Domino look like a pretty good piece of code in comparison
(one of these days I'll get around to writing up my "Why Notes/Domino
Sucks" web site, but I'll need to find an ISP that gives me more than my
current 100Mb of web space first to be sure I can fit it all in... <G>).

My personal favourite Exchange AntiVirus product is ScanMail. ScanMail
is cool. It's completely reliable. It caused me no problems at all in
three years. In THREE YEARS (yes, that's thirty-six months), I didn't
have any reason to call for support - not once. It just installed,
worked well, and caused me no problems. I've heard similar reports about
Sybari's Antigen, though I've never tried it myself. I deployed ScanMail
to eleven servers spread across a slow WAN and eleven separate countries
in just under eleven minutes. It took me four days and approximately
twenty calls to NAI "support" to get GroupShield just to install on one
Exchange server (OK, the first ten installs were quite smooth, but FOUR
DAYS to solve an installation issue on the last one??? Go figure...).

I used GroupShield years ago. It sucked then. I was forced to switch
from ScanMail back to GroupShield recently against my better judgement
(Enterprise licensing deal... I couldn't persuade the pointies that the
"free" software thrown in with the big desktop AV software deal was
worth exactly what they were paying for it). In the six weeks since
then, I have had at least DAILY dealings with NAI "support". And every
day, I find a new reason to wish I was still using ScanMail.

List Charter and FAQ at:

List Charter and FAQ at:

  • ... Lefkovics, William
  • ... David N. Precht