10MB mailbox limits!.  Randy, you sir are da MAN!

-----Original Message-----
From: Toni, Randy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 11:26 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Applying Mailbox Limits....After the Fact

An unread message with a word doc flyer attached - Joe Smith's retirement
lunch on Oct 6, 1995 - that's some pretty mission-critical info.  Certainly
don't want to get rid of anything like that.  One manager had almost 1000
unread messages in the inbox at any given time.  Important enough to keep
forever, but not important enough to even bother opening and reading?  Gimme
a break....

Quotas and limts right from the start is the moral of the story.  Easier
said than done without mgmt support.  Ask users to clean up or run the tools
to clean up for them and you could be asking for a new job.  Luckily the
current CEO supported the effort to clean up the system here, and I did a
lot of slash-and-burn on an inherited system that was not properly set up in
the first place.  We now have a system-wide default of 10MB (yep - that's
all they get unless they can jusity the need for more).  Management
mailboxes have a 100 MB limit.  Mailbox full? Maybe first you should get rid
of those 23 pics of your daughter's new dog you'll have lots of room.

Total IS is typically less than 4GB for 600 users -- a single mailbox that
size is a truly frightenting thing.  People here are actually keeping it
real clean (thanks to an understanding upper-management team - who would've
thought? - and the e-mail nazi from hell at the helm...).  But I'm still
working and still learning - (although the 'nads are a darker shade of
blue).

List Charter and FAQ at:

List Charter and FAQ at: