From: Andrew J. Lund, MCSE [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 12:52 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: OT: IT staff behavior

This is a query on protocol.

My girlfriend calls me and tells me that her Outlook has "lost" several
personal calendar items.  This caused a double-booking of conference
rooms and much pain and suffering.  She is on a Mac with Outlook and I
would imagine the servers are Win2K/Exchange 2K but I'm not certain.

At any rate, she tells the helpdesk people that she is missing items
among other things.  They come look at it, shrug their shoulders and say
they'll be back later.  They never return.  In fact, she calls them and
they "forgot" all about her problem.  (Others have this problem as
well.)  I don't know about you but if someone tells me something is
"missing" from an email DB, I get right on it to figure out the issue
(which is usually larger than just a few things missing).

I told her that this is NOT acceptable IT protocol.  I would like to
think that a smooth network is one where workstations and servers are
humming, no one has problems with the equipment or software, backups are
working, and security is tight.  Am I wrong here?  Am I overreacting
when I tell her that she needs to bring down the hammer on these
so-called network professionals??  She is in no position to do anything
but complain to her boss who doesn't seem to care much...

Your thoughts...

Andrew J. Lund, MCSE

Systems Manager

IEA - San Francisco