> I presented a plan for something like that to two different
> publishers, including sections on “small”, “medium” and “large”
> environments; but it was shot down.

Typical moron PHBs  :)  Maybe they are looking for a SBS/Ex/SCE book?

Your market is individual system administrators and trainers, NOT a
business or its management!  What are they even thinking; a small business
usually can't even afford a full time sysadmin let alone a training
budget!?

I would say a better approach is by topic but with relevant notes that
cover the various size installations.  For example, at a small
installation (w/no full time sysadmin) it's probably best to have all the
external mail go through a managed service such as postini.  Obviously
this becomes prohibitively expensive and inflexible at larger sites.
Sizes at perhaps this many users: <20 w/no admin, 50-500/1000 w/full time
staff wearing many hats, >500/1000 w/dedicated messaging personnel.

Time to find a different publisher?

~JasonG