Ahh info makes more sense.

There are a number of other variables, but as long as users at site1 can
talk to site2(assuming GC, DNS, etc) then they can login and connect to
that mailbox.  Exchange on that side will handle flowing mail out its
local SMTP connector.

If you are using RPC/HTTP then that has to be reconfigured to connect to
the new server.

As to DR/Backup site, this will not allow you access to your old mail or
other mailbox if the server is down.  You can do a backup of the store
on site1 and then copy the backed up file down to site2.  DFS
Replication in R2 or robocopy etc during off hours would do this
nicely(Assuming the bandwidth is there)

Even then you will have to perform a recovery of the IS to a recovery
storage group and exmerge the files out to pst manually.

As to the specific errors about exchange offline, did you move any
replicas of system or public folders to siteb?  If you "just" added it
as a member and didn't move any mailboxes over or setup replicas then
there should be nothing on the server at site2 that would cause users at
site1, homed to that server in site1 for that error to occur.