NOTE:  This is reposted from my Response to Don in the Syaadmin forum, however
since he posted here as well I thought it best to repost for all involved.

Don, thanks for the message, let’s address each of your points.

1.      I find it interesting that you make a statement about "real" Exchange
admins.  Care to clarify that statement a bit more?

a.      You are certainly entitled to your opinion; however, making such a
swaggering statement of differentiation regarding  “real” vs. what “wannabe”
Exchange admins is pretty brazen and insulting don’t you think?

b.      I would agree that Exchange admins have a varying degree of knowledge,
however, that doesn’t give anyone with “supposedly” more knowledge the right to
disregard or label everyone else as a non-real Exchange Admin.

2.      Exchange is coming up on its 12th birthday this coming April 2008 and
from your statement it sounds like you have been working with it since its
introduction.

a.      Being that you have been in that game this long, I am sure that you
have a good grasp of Exchange.

i.      I do find it interesting that you’ve had little need to utilize the MS
utilities in all that time, but hey I will take you at your word, you were
there I was not.

ii.     Although, if one has had little need to use any item, be that a
product, process or utility (in this case the MS utilities) how can one say
they have a deep understanding of the item in question?

3.      I’ll agree that your statements are extremely broad, care to clarify
these broad statements?

a.      You say “I know enough about your product” Really?  Enlighten us with
your knowledge of the product Don.  While you’re at it, tell me, how did you
come by this knowledge of GOexchange?

b.      What do you mean exactly when you say “your product increases the risk
of making things worse...”  Get specific please, let’s see what you are basing
your statement on here.

4.      You as the question of “where would I find value in your product” Well
lets start by saying that GOexchange is a PROACTIVE maintenance and
optimization tool, vs. a reactive solution, tool or process.

a.      As I am sure you know being Proactive is taking steps to avoid or
minimize a negative action and being Reactive is dealing with the problem after
its taken place.

b.      While we agree that being able to react to a negative action, i.e.
restoring from backup or repairing a corrupted data base is invaluable, I would
hope that we can all agree the act of  avoiding or minimizing the negative
action altogether is more desirable, regardless of the issue at hand i.e.

i.      Most people go to the Dr. or Dentist for a checkup every so often as
part of their personal preventative maintenance. While this takes precious time
out of their valuable day, however, it’s the right and mart thing to do when
you consider the alternative of going in on an emergency basis only which is
much more costly.

ii.     The same scenario hold true for car owners, i.e. sheesh what a pain to
have your car go in for maintenance, I mean I am busy.   Sure you can ignore
it, maybe you will get lucky, then again maybe you will be stranded on the side
of the road when the engine completely seizes, brakes, electrical or some other
part goes south.  The end result is it ends up costing you more time; energy,
aggravation and resources then it would have if you would have taken care.

iii.    Look at the New Orleans/Katrina disaster. Much if not all of the damage
and suffering could have been avoided had the government officials been
proactive in many ways.  The levees were known to be insufficient for decades.
Everyone talked about shoring them up but it was deemed unnecessary or too
costly a project.    In hindsight the cost to shore up the levees and protest
the people of New Orleans would have been a fraction of the post disaster
cleanup cost and that doesn’t measure the human suffering.

c.      Ok so now back to Exchange… As stated before much has changed with
Exchange since its first release and its underlying database structure has
evolved into an incredibly resilient and much more reliable system.  Microsoft
has built mechanisms to protect the JET database from many types of corruption,
but certain conditions can still cause the ESE engine and databases to fail.
That being said….

i.      The majority of organizations know innately that the e-mail system is
business-critical. In a content-driven business ecosystem, it is their primary
means of employee and business communications. Yet, few organizations can
quantify the cost of lost business and productivity caused by Unplanned E-Mail
Server Downtime.

ii.     When it comes to your messaging systems, an ounce of prevention, or in
this case implementing a preventative maintenance solution, is worth a pound of
cure (aka Disaster Recovery)—which of course means, unplanned downtime, angry
users and executives, cancelled plans, the possibility of data loss and more
stress than anyone needs and late nights spent in the server room putting
humpty dumpty back together again.

iii.    The key words here are “unnecessary downtime” of course. The problem is
Microsoft doesn’t really give anyone a way to know if action against a database
is actually necessary or not until you start seeing performance problems,
experience errors getting mail, or your store will not mount (worst case
scenario), and in reality diagnosis isn’t productive when problems have gone
too far.

iv.     In essence MS has had so many people misuse the utilities that it’s
safer to run blind then risk improper usage.

v.      GOexchange eliminates the issues that Microsoft is worried about in so
far as improper usage and lets you plan preventative maintenance downtime in
order to avoid unplanned/necessary downtime.

5.      To summarize, the technical and business reasons to use our GOexchange
are;

a.      Database health is often overlooked in most Exchange environments and
many administrators mistakenly conclude that the database stores will take care
of themselves as part of Exchange’s nightly online maintenance process. In
reality, this process is important but is only a precursor to complete database
maintenance. Ignoring the importance of preventative maintenance can be
catastrophic and the fallout cuts across all departments of an organization.

b.      One reason we built GOexchange is because people were using the
utilities incorrectly, this became so prevalent that Microsoft now recommends
not using the utilities unless absolutely necessary and that you have a very
high level of expertise or are being guided by PSS. They don’t say they have no
value, or what necessary actually means, they have just determined that for the
average IT person this is too risky unless you are currently experiencing
problems.

c.      To be clear we don’t claim that we can do “more” than Microsoft could,
we claim we do much more than they provide; in essence we automate this process
so it is flawless. Expert knowledge has been built into the product to do away
with the need for the manual, error prone processes, and the meticulous
attention required to perform what we believe should be routine maintenance.

6.      I suppose you could also scoff at what some of the leading analyst
firms have to say about us http://www.lucid8.com/press/analyst_coverage.asp ,
however, we didnt pay these firms to make these statements so why would they?

7.      Bottom line our customers say it all. i.e.

a.      Look at the product testimonials
http://www.lucid8.com/product/products_tests.asp

b.      Read the case studies
http://www.lucid8.com/resource/success_stories.asp done with REAL clients that
had REAL issues RESOLVED by using GOexchange.

8.      If after reading this post you still think you are right, i.e. that
GOexchange is a farce, The Lucid8 guys don’t know what they are talking about I
guess that’s your prerogative, proof of real-world statements from leading
analyst and results from paying customers around the world be damned.

9.      BTW,  just as a validation point, what depth of knowledge do you think
it would take to create a product that can;

a.      Open a native backup copy of an Exchange Database (EDB, STM, LOG files)
on as little as an XP desktop? ( No Exchange Server Necessary)

b.      Then search, restore and extract mailboxes, folders, or individual
items from that raw database to your heart’s content?

c.      This is the depth of knowledge our organization has in the Exchange
Database, i.e. as we said prior,we know the Exchange db intimately.  Check out
http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp

DC
------ Response from Don Ely on 2008-02-29 16:01:00   ------------------

Your product is useless to "real" Exchange admins.  Your product offers no
intrinsic value and at best your product increases the risk of making things
worse...
Bottom line, your product holds no value.
I know enough about your product to make such a broad statement.
Given that, maybe you can explain where I am wrong in my assumption about your
product.  Having managed Exchange environments since the Exchange 4.0 days I'm
pretty sure I have a strong handle on the Jet Database, Eseutil, and Isinteg.
I also have a keen handle on when to use these utilities and when I shouldn't.
I can also say that in all of my years of managing Exchange and we're going on
13 years, I have never run Eseutil or Isinteg on servers I had to manage.  I
can count on both hands the number of times I have to use either utility as a
consultant.
All of that said, where would I find value in your product.  Seriously, I would
really like to know the answer to this question and without use case
scenario's, etc...  I would like clear, technical reasons to implement such a
product.