> That is what I want to do.  However, people are bypassing.

Oh common users *never* try to do that  ;)

> They can access via their home computer.  The difference is the home
> computer is not on their hip around town with a much greater chance of
> getting lost or stolen.

I guess management is certain that none of your users have a personal
laptop that they bring into starbucks or on vacation.

>  Also, unlike a browser based view, the method they are using is
> downloading every message, as well as storing the password.

I hope it isn't breaking news that all three of the top browsers (IE,
Firefox, Opera) will save user login information.  Hmmm, what about that
pesky cache directory...

>  So with the blackberry, they aren't just accessing the webpage (in the
> classic sense)

I hope that smart aleck John Doe from accounting doesn't figure out how to
use foo mail utility he found on file forum, or powershell or Perl or
Python scripting or ...  Darnit, is that Jane over there taking CSC
classes at the local community college?  Yikes, and they're learning about
networking and http too!?  I'm not trying to be denigrating here, but
hopefully you'll see some of the very real possibilities. (FYI: no less
than three non-IT personnel here are doing exactly what I am talking about
in the latter example).

I think the bottom line is that your problem is one of policy, not of
inadequate technical solutions.  You will have to spearhead a paradigm
shift away from a reactive and security-through-obscurity based culture to
one of proactive and decisive control.  One way to start is locking
certain things behind a VPN. Then, make sure that policy requires the CEO
or some other high level executive to sign off on requests for access.
Many users won't even ask. :)  At worst, make it policy not to access
corporate email via BIS.  When people do it anyway, document and write
them up.  When people complain about performance point at the policy;
point at lack of support and enforcement from management.  You don't have
to be offensive, but do lay the facts on the table.

~JasonG