I've been anti-cluster for a very long time. "the only good cluster is a single
node" -Ed | I have always agreed with him

Lately I have been building Clusters and putting VM's on them; I am starting to
feel that that is the best way to do it. Your Cluster becomes a hardware pool
with redundancy that you can place virtual machines on. You can optimize the
hardware pool resource allocation to the virtuals on the fly; adding and
removing ram and what not as needed. It makes it very simple to add more
hardware to your servers, you just add another cluster node  and move the VM to
the new hardware, takes minutes in the users eyes. No need to migrate or fiddle
with server names and IP address and crap like we have to do on dedicated
hardware.

 ~2000$ for an 8 proc server with 16GB or ram, and ~2000$ for Windows server
2008 enterprise ( comes with 4 VM server cals, for 6k you can run datacenter
and have unlimited VM's) to add a node that can support 1-10+ VM's depending on
what you need. Well you have to storage in there. I just build a 4TB NAS
running open filer ( 8 x 1tb drives in raid 0+1 for I/O) for like 3500$ or
something.

 I am starting to like clusters, just not clusters but I still don't like
clustered Exchange

~Kevinm WLKMMAS
powered by 3Sharp<http://www.3sharp.com/>, Always
WLKMMAS<http://www.wlkmmas.org/> What is your Zombie Plan?