From: Michael B. Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:51 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Exchange Failover Product..

Clusters allow a well-managed server farm to go from 99.9% availability to
99.99% availability.

Emphasis on "well-managed".

Those are, quite frankly, few and far between. In most shops that I've seen,
clusters actually reduce availability.

These days, you can install Exchange, configure it a little bit, set up your
backups, and it'll just hum along for you for months and months without
requiring you to touch it. Run a patch install at 3am on Sunday morning once
a month, and you're done.

If you buy good hardware for the server - you'll probably not have to touch
it except when a disk needs replacing. And of course, you have SMART/SCSI
monitoring, so you know when that happens, you pick up a phone and order a
disk, it's hot-swappable and auto-rebuild. Or you have it in inventory
because e-mail is a critical service. You're done.

No frickin' way you get off that easy with a cluster. It requires a LOT more
care and feeding. In certain (very rare) circumstances, I can believe that
that expert care and feeding is worth 0.09% increased availability. But
honestly, I don't think I've EVER seen one.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith

MCSE/Exchange MVP

http://TheEssentialExchange.com