Because journaling is turned on (plus a couple of reg hacks) every
message that passes through the MTA is archived. We use it here. While
it is great for compliance in terms of enforcing our retention policy,
it does not help to manage information store sizes as it is just taking
a copy of everything. We just put in a solution called Zantaz. It's not
cheap, but what it does is takes every email older than a specified date
and moves it to archive storage. What's cool though is that the email
appears to the user as if it is still in the original folder in outlook,
it just changes the icon slightly. It compresses the archive and
eliminates duplicates that may have got past single instance storage. We
have changed from having 160GB if information store date to having under
20, but then in the mean time the size of the archive is 70 GB because
of the compressions etc etc etc. Great solution.

Clayton Doige

IT Project Manager

CME Development Corporation

T: 020 7430 5355