My bad. 46 spindles and 10 spares.

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Blackstone [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:23 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: VMWare RAID 10 or Raid 5

I have 56 spindles....

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Gurtz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:13 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues

> Indeed we are slowly moving towards RAID6 On some of the EMC Systems
> we have here.

Just for my overall perspective on this Raid6 topic:  Like anything else,
it's a tradeoff.  In this case yet another performance hit for peace of
mind.  I wish I could remember the exact formulas and numbers, but the
basic idea is that the chance of failure while rebuilding increases with
the amount of spindles and volume size (length of time to rebuild).  A
little research should turn up the numbers, but I think I feel safe saying
if there's less than 8 drives the RAID6 perf penalty probably isn't worth
it.  Of course, every situation is different and one must consider the
value of the data, backup strategy in place, recovery time, etc...

On the other end, if spindles goes more than 15-20 or so, you would
probably start looking more at layered raid levels like 50 or even 60 to
increase redundancy and perf at the cost of storage space and $.

Does anyone here have their exchange DBs on 20+ spindles? 8-)...

~JasonG