Now you see, that's true as far as it goes - but it really doesn't go far
enough.

/recoverserver reinstall's Exchange with all the same INSTALLATION OPTIONS,
but doesn't recover the configuration settings, thus providing an Exchange
administrator with a false sense of security.

There are a metric buttload (technical measurement, there) of registry and
XML file configurations in Exchange 2007 that didn't exist in Exchange 2003
and that you are required to have for proper configuration restoration. CAS
is the worst, because you need another buttload of IIS/Metabase settings.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith, MCITP:SA,EMA/MCSE/Exchange MVP

My blog: http://TheEssentialExchange.com/blogs/michael