From: Travis Krampy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2008 3:12 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Exchange performance

Thanks! I am going to take Simon's advise and just move mailboxes into new
mailstores.  I am also going to utilize Exchange Ent and maximize the SG's

As for performance, i have run the troubleshooting tool...

Here is what i found (Note that this was run on the weekend and not during
the weekday):

Performance issue found on logical disk containing database files
Database disk: The maximum value for '\LogicalDisk(J:)\Avg. Disk sec/Read'
should be less than 0.05 (50 ms). The measured value is 0.054 (54 ms).

Maximum 'MSExchangeDSAccess Domain
Controllers(Domaincontroller.domain.com)\LDAP Read Time' is beyond the
warning threshold of 100 ms. The measured value is 258 ms. The rate of reads

to this domain controller is 1 calls per second, indicating the active
directory server is used infrequently. Rates below 0.5 are considered low.

Maximum 'MSExchangeDSAccess Domain
Controllers(Domaincontroller.domain.com)\LDAP Search Time' is beyond the
warning threshold of 100 ms. The measured value is 219 ms. The rate of
searches to this domain controller is 1 calls per second, indicating the
active directory server is used infrequently. Rates below 0.5 are considered

low.

Active RPC User Activity
Since the RPC operations per second per user is greater than 0.15, the users

are considered as 'moderately active'. The measured RPC operations per
second/per user rate is 0.217.

The tool also gave me a recommendation to:

If the users accessing the Exchange server are highly active, and you are
unable to reduce the load on your server, and your server is exhibiting
bottlenecks, you should consider moving some users to another server.

Looks like I have some more digging...

I never had to deal with RPC latiency issues, can anyone point me to a
direction to start looking?  Obviously i need to take care of the disk
bottleneck, but could the disk bottleneck be an indication that the SAN isnt

configured properly for Exchange?

I dont deal much with SANs, only direct attached storage for exchange...

Thanks

Travis

"Troy Meyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I agree with Simon (as will most of the other Exch admins here) that if you
can just move the mailboxes to a different mailstore, its not worth doing
the offline defrag.  You get essentially the same result when you are able
to delete the original mailstore.

Your speed symptoms sound strange, is it with everyone, or just select
users?  I would look at mailboxes to make sure you don't have users with
tons of data and a million things in the inbox.  If you can help it, keep
mailbox sizes under 2gb and less than 5000 items in a single folder (IE move

extra items to a subfolder). If you allow excess (as we do) just let users
know its their call and they need to know performance will suffer.  Also,
how are your users connecting?  Is everyone local MAPI?  If you have
humongous mailboxes, cached mode should help improve performance a bit.

Hope that helps

Troy