We were concerned about this issue as well. However, it's easily avoidable
via policy. We currently use Symantec Enterprise Vault so I'm not familiar
with the capabilities of SEA. We do replace archived messages with shortcuts
(or stub files) but then those shortcuts are deleted from the user's mailbox
once they hit a certain age. At that point, the user must use the Enterprise
Vault tools (archive explorer or the search tool) to locate archived
messages.

- Sean