From: Michael B. Smith [mailto:mich...@theessentialexchange.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 3:51 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Microsoft Recommends Against Stubbing

Blah blah blah.

There are ups and downs to any solution. And you have to take what a
sales person says with a grain of salt (any sales person - that's why I
[with my sales person hat on J ] will suggest that your best bet is to
get an independent opinion from someone like a consultant who is not
tied to any specific solution and who will evaluate your needs first).

Nothing stops the fact that the more messages you have in a given
folder, over a few thousand, is going to impact performance for Outlook
and Exchange negatively.

If something isn't in a folder, well you can't search for it in that
folder.

Any "integrated search solution" is going to take you, at least part of
the time, out of Outlook.

What Microsoft tends to recommend, these days, is:

1] keep the major folders below a few thousand items

2] move old items out of the major folders.

So...let's take Boss John. He never deletes anything; so he has 25,000
items in his inbox spanning his seven years as a boss. He complains
about Outlook performance.

(Duh!)

Current Microsoft guidance would recommend that you create (on Exchange
2007) a Managed Folder Mailbox Policy that would (for example) move
items more than six months old into another folder. Microsoft Search can
still find the content (it's still in the mailbox) but inbox performance
improves dramatically, because those items are no longer in the critical
path.

Many archiving solutions can perform similar actions, along with
removing some content from the mailbox store.

Which is best for you? I dunno. You need to evaluate your business
drivers against the functionality present in various products. Also, you
need to evaluate how products scale.

I know that a number of the lower-end products I've evaluated (read:
less expensive) are good up until about 1K mailboxes. Beyond that -
well, you are better looking at an enterprise class product.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith, MCITP:SA,EMA/MCSE/Exchange MVP

My blog: http://TheEssentialExchange.com/blogs/michael

I'll be at TEC'2009! http://www.tec2009.com/vegas/index.php