Ad isn't a mess it's quite clean now, once  a split happens I guess you could
consider it a mess but I've done worst and never had any Ill effects.   The
Exchange org.. I'm still wondering on.  We just had a Health check from MS on
it and got the thumbs up.  But as I stated in order to get the email address'
Correct we have to uncheck the automatic.  OWA is keyed off the Primary (or
first) email address in the setup (yes we have setup new sites and it still
falls backt o the primary).  Here is an example

If you have the following (remember your talkin exchange 2000 because 2007 is
still a slave to it)
Default policy = name @1.com
Smtp Policy 2 =  name @a.1.com
Smtp Policy 3 =  name @b.com
Smtp Policy 4 =  name @a.b.com
Etc.. for 19 of these

OWA only works off the default policy (this is how it was back in the exchange
5.5 days) so if you get rid of the  name @1.com OWA fails to work. I've setup
new OWA web sites pointing to name @a.1.com etc..etc.. but they do not work
either without the default smtp address being on the account.  (remember where
I've said MS has given us the thumbs up)  I still question how this could be
with such a problem. On our Test domain where I have installed just 1 Exchange
2000/2003/2007 server. (note: not 1 each just 1 each time for testing currently
it is a 2007 server)  I can get the OWA site to work off any of the Policies as
advertised.  I'm being told it's the upgraded org from Exchange 5.5 that has
caused this mess. (and here again we get a thumbs up from MS GRRR)

We have set all accounts to not update automatically, but when I move someone
from 2000 to 2007 it get's checked again.  From the sounds of it I should just
install a 3rd 2007 server and get rid of our 2000 servers faster. Maybe 2007
will help with the Policy problem...