We've got a pure Exchange 2007 environment running on VMWare, and it
functions just fine for us. The migration from our physical system was
flawless - however we built an entirely new virtualised AD structure at the
same time, which may or may not have helped with the smooth migration
process.

If you are referring to VMWare HA, the HA process doesn't have any effect on
the Exchange servers that we can see - aside from a small lag in performance
for a few minutes.