From: Mayo, Bill [mailto:bem...@pittcountync.gov]
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 4:41 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Anti-SPAM Appliances

I won't comment on GFI (I like SOME of their products).  What I will say
is that, while I generally like having things under my control, I find
the appliance model to be the best one for dealing with spam (YMMV).  It
gives you a middle ground between an offsite service and having to
maintain the software/hardware yourself.  It is one less server that I
have to worry about directly administering.  It basically "just works"
and if there is a problem, I just contact their support who deal with
it.  The only real problem is that if the box were to completely die, I
don't have any direct ability to get a replacement up and running...but
even that can be mitigated (you can cluster the appliances).