On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Mayo, Shay <shay.m...@absg.com> wrote:
> Just curious what type of performance people have had with large mailboxes
> on Exchange 2007.

  We're not on Exchange 2007 yet, only 2003.  But my experience echos
what others have said: Exchange usually isn't the issue; performance
bottlenecks will show up in Outlook much sooner.  Keeping the number
of items in a single folder down will help more than overall mailbox
size.

  Pay particular attention to the "special" folders (Inbox, Sent
Items, Drafts, Deleted Items, Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Tasks).
Ideally, you want these to contain as few items as possible.  Outlook
hits all of these folders constantly, so a small slowdown in any of
them gets magnified hugely.  Even if the user just has a second set of
folders for Inbox and Sent and moves everything over once a day, it
will still help.

  The first time you sync a pre-existing mailbox to a new computer, it
will spend bloody forever downloading everything from the server.  Not
much you can do about that.  I try to put them on Gigabit Ethernet on
the same switch as the Exchange server.

  I've found that once the OST goes over 3 or 4 gigs, OST I/O starts
to impact Windows as a whole, especially when Outlook is first
started.  Also, the built-in Windows defrag isn't able to defrag it
anymore.  We actually went so far as create a separate, dedicated
partition for the OST file for a few users, and found it gave a
noticeable improvement.  YMMV.

  If the users don't need frequent/offline/search for some old mail,
you can use Public Folders and/or separate Exchange Mailboxes to
archive stuff to, and exclude those from the OST sync entirely.  Kind
of like the "archive to PST" scenario, except you're not putting all
your eggs in that woefully fragile PST basket.

-- Ben