+1.  I worked for a firm that people PAID us to send them emails.  Paid us a
pretty good amount of money.  Subscription based that they renewed monthly
or yearly.  They would still report us and cause us problems.

I wouldn't bring it in house.  If your current firm is costing so much that
bringing in house frees up funding for other stuff, then put out an RFP and
get competitive bids.  Get the price down.

If you bring it in house, plan on commiting a good portion of a techs time
dealing with issues.  Compare the service price to 1/4 to 1/3 of a tech's
salary.