Hi all, I wonder if any of you have encountered this problem and can advise
my best course of action:
I have an Exchange 2007 Standard Edition server in a single domain
environment, running on Windows Server 2003 R2 x64. There was a Windows
Server 2003 domain controller with all the FSMO roles and was a Global
Catalog server, which I was hoping to decommission.

So I dcpromo'd and transferred the FSMO roles to a new domain controller and
I am happy that all the replication has occurred and the new DC is fully
functional according to all Microsoft's tests. (
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816106)

However, on my Exchange server, the old domain controller is still listed in
the following places:
Microsoft Exchange \ Server Configuration \ Server Properties \ "System
Settings" tab \ Active Directory servers \ "Domain controller servers being
used by Exchange" & "Global catalog servers being used by Exchange".

So I shut down the old DC and almost immediately Exchange stopped working
(mailboxes unavailable, no OWA, no services, nothing). As soon as I brought
the old DC back up, Exchange worked again.

The next step was to shut down the old DC, then restart the Exchange
services, but they failed to start. I tried a reboot of the whole server,
which then hung on "Applying computer settings". As soon as I brought the
old DC back online and then rebooted the Exchange server, everything was
fine.

As you know, the "Domain controller servers being used by Exchange" &
"Global catalog servers being used by Exchange" settings in the above
location are not configurable.

My question is this: how can I make my Exchange server move on into the
brave future with me and the new Domain controller? I really do need to
decommission the old one.

All help gratefully received.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Andrew Levicki