Is the new DC in the same site as your old DC, and the Exchange servers?

From: Andrew Levicki [mailto:and...@levicki.me.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 2:31 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Exchange 2007 servers listed in System Settings \ Active Directory
servers

I'm really sorry if that email just went off the sides of your screen. I hope
that (a) you
know the answer to my question and (b) you will read my message now (damn
computers!):

Hi all, I wonder if any of you have encountered this problem and can advise my
best course of action:

I have an Exchange 2007 Standard Edition server in a single domain environment,
running on Windows Server 2003 R2 x64. There was a Windows Server 2003 domain
controller with all the FSMO roles and was a Global Catalog server, which I was
hoping to decommission.

So I dcpromo'd and transferred the FSMO roles to a new domain controller and I
am happy that all the replication has occurred and the new DC is fully
functional according to all Microsoft's tests.
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816106)

However, on my Exchange server, the old domain controller is still listed in
the following places:
Microsoft Exchange \ Server Configuration \ Server Properties \ "System
Settings" tab \ Active Directory servers \ "Domain controller servers being
used by Exchange" & "Global catalog servers being used by Exchange".

So I shut down the old DC and almost immediately Exchange stopped working
(mailboxes unavailable, no OWA, no services, nothing). As soon as I brought the
old DC back up, Exchange worked again.

The next step was to shut down the old DC, then restart the Exchange services,
but they failed to start. I tried a reboot of the whole server, which then hung
on "Applying computer settings". As soon as I brought the old DC back online
and then rebooted the Exchange server, everything was fine.

As you know, the "Domain controller servers being used by Exchange" & "Global
catalog servers being used by Exchange" settings in the above location are not
configurable.

My question is this: how can I make my Exchange server move on into the brave
future with me and the new Domain controller? I really do need to decommission
the old one.

All help gratefully received.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Andrew Levicki

[...]

Note:
The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential
and
protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to
replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.