Outsourcing is done for a lot of reasons.

I have seen it done as a result of battles between executives because
internal IT was not competent (or did not have good management to give
them the tools the needed) and the outsource was to provide competent
people.  After a while the management tide turned and the stuff was
all insourced again.

I tend to believe that insouring is a good thing when you reach a
certain size and that outsourcing is a risk but it's also not my money
and there are many different strategies around.

Outsourcing isn't just to 'them foreners' as the tone of someprevious
threads have seemed to center on.  Outsourcing can be to IBM glbal
services, SAIC, temp agencies, all sorts of things.

However onto a more specific example.

My first full time IT job was part of a large scale (outsouced) effort
to migrate desktops from DOS/Banyon Vines to WIndows NT3.51.  This
transitioned into desktop support.  The way the contract was written
was to essentially eliminate most of us over several years.  I worked
for a company called Entex and we worked onsite at Intel.

Every desktop ticket was required (supposed) to have detailed
remediation steps and the TAC (Call center) would roll this into
knowledge base articles.  TACs goal was to reduce dispatch to desktop
calls.  TAC would meet under a VP and they would go through the
largest volume category tickets and do whatthey could to eliminate
dispatches and make improvements to their processes.

This took many years as the kb was built and the remote tools
improved.  Eventually a large portion of people were transistioned to
laptops and system ivnetory tools were such that if you lost your
system, one could drop off a new one and visit a website which would
then automatically load all youur licensed applications back on in a
few hours.

I left before this was finished but I understand it worked well.

So, this was a case of a targeted outsource to achieve a long term
business goal with less human resource risk to the company.  As the
goals were met, they were able to pay the outsourced company less and
let them deal with who to get rid of (ahem, let go).

Steven Peck
http://www.blkmtn.org