I used to work *for *a major outsourcer, and part of taking on new contracts
was always a major source of hostility and frustration from end-users and
(particularly) those IT staff who had been "transitioned" into our
company.We had "business systems managers" being moved into desktop support
roles which naturally didn't sit with them very well - especially when they
learned that our Prison Service contract meant they'd be spending an
inordinate amount of time in jails rather than swanning around office blocks
as they had done previously. Often staff who used to work for the
now-outsourced company who attempt to trip you up and withhold knowledge at
every opportunity to try and protect their little realms, especially those
who were now seeing their servers and directory services moved to the
authority of the relevant remote support teams. Obtaining information about
the intricacies of applications was next to impossible in some cases. The
removal of administrative access was always a source of great wailing and
gnashing of teeth.

Having said that, when managed correctly - and not constantly springing the
cost of "projects" onto the customer that fall outside of normal support -
I've seen the outsourced model do quite well. It was, however, dependent on
the quality of the support staff. I've seen some accounts really struggle
without staff who understood how to try and win the hearts and minds of the
end-users.

--
"On two occasions...I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr Babbage, if you put into
the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able

http://raythestray.blogspot.com