From: Steve Ens [mailto:stevey...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 11:31 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Upgrade to 2010 first?

My suggestion would be to not rebuild the domain.  What are the reasons behind
this?
On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Shields, Anthony
<ashie...@epsteinatlanta.org<mailto:ashie...@epsteinatlanta.org>> wrote:
Nearly every summer we rebuild our domain from scratch, including Exchange.
This year, we will be upgrading several things including Win2k8 R2 and E2k10
server.

Typically when we do this, we exmerge the existing store - in this case a E2k7
- to PST files, which are then exmerged into the new store.

We currently have many users with mailboxes near or over 2gigs.  I have had
issues previously trying to import large PST files and am hoping to avoid them
if possible.

I believe E2k10 has brought back the ease of export/import PST files and was
wondering if it would make sense to upgrade the E2k7 server to 2010 and then
export the PST files - Wipe the equipment clean and reinstall 2010, importing
those PST files?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Anthony Shields
Systems Administrator
The Epstein School
(404) 250-5659

The Epstein School is a proud beneficiary of the Jewish Federation of Greater
Atlanta.