From: Harry Singh [mailto:hbo...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 12:13 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Windows Server Backup and Exchange 2010

All:

I have an single Exchange 2010 STD with Update Rollup 3 installed on a Windows
2008 SP2 VM on vSphere ESX 4. I attempted to run a Windows Server Backup but
the process was stuck on the Consistency check for Exchange.I waited for about
15 minutes until i cancelled the job to do some research. I followed the
following steps here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876854.aspx
and found the following forum post here:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/exchange2010/thread/88adaae6-2930-4785-a85f-9ae4d837eca2

In short, there is a post at the above forum that indicates to enable the
following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v14\Replay\Parameters]

Create new:

"EnableVSSWriter"=dword:00000000

My question is, will the above key disable VSS functionality all together ? I
plan on introducing Symantec BE 2010, will it also break BE's, or any
VSS-reliant/aware app's ability to run a backup of Exchange?

Thanks,

Harry.