As luck would have it, we have a user who needs his mailbox restored from a few
days before we moved his account from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010. We’ve
been able to restore the required storage group, but when we run Exmerge to
extract the user’s mailbox into a PST file, it complains about permission
problems. This link shows the error we’re getting, but the suggested remedies
don’t really apply, although I did verify just in case.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322312

I think the cause of the problem is because the user no longer has a mailbox on
the 2003 server. I don’t really want to move his mailbox back to 2003, plus I’m
not even sure if it will solve the problem. Is there some other way to restore
a legacy mailbox other than using Exmerge?