On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Sean Martin <seanmarti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I know we often see addresses entered incorrectly so there's a
> good chance we're continually pounding invalid addresses ...

  Some of those addresses will be valid -- for other people.

  The ideal thing to do is have your app send a confirmation message
to the address the user enters.  Until the user clicks on the link in
the confirmation message, the email address is unverified and can't be
used for anything.  This at least limits the damage.

  (My personal email address is apparently commonly mistyped.  I get
other people's mail *all* *the* *time*.)

> I would hope those that have signed up aren't
> marking our messages as SPAM, but it's probably not outside the realm of
> possibility.

  Where you or I see a "Spam" button, many lusers see a "Do not want"
button.  It's used for spam, "I don't want this anymore", "I forgot I
signed up for this", etc.  You will get lots of people clicking the
"Spam" button.  The big providers have a mechanism for you to accept
that as feedback and do something productive with it.

-- Ben