From: Bill Humphries [mailto:nt...@hedgedigger.com]
Sent: 18 January 2011 19:31
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: database size vs mailbox size

Thanks, Michael.

I do not see any 1221 events in the application log, but I ran this:
Get-MailboxDatabase -Status | FL AvailableNewMailboxSpace

and it replied 10.34 GB.

I also have one user that shows 20 GB in totsldeleteditemd and one user with
7 GB.  If I set their retention policy to 0 days will that free up that
space sometime today?

12 GB of mailboxes, 30 GB of deleted items and 10 GB of whitespace would be
52 GB total vs the 88 GB in the edb file.  Anything else, I should look at?

Bill

Michael B. Smith wrote:
> Check out 1221 for ESE in the Application log to see how much white space
you have.

> Also:
>
>       Get-mailbox -resultsize unlimited | get-mailboxstatistics | select
> DisplayName, TotalDeletedItemSize, TotalItemSize
>
> will provide you with more details...
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael B. Smith
> Consultant and Exchange MVP
> http://TheEssentialExchange.com

mailbox sizes all mailboxes add up to less than 12 gigs.  We have default
retention policy enabled that keeps deleted items for 14 days.