We're trying to stick under 500GB per store. In the event DAG fails and we have
to go to tape, FCP LTO-4 can restore 500GB. It'd blow the RTO but really bad
stuff does happen.

From: Paul Hutchings [mailto:paul.hutchi...@mira.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 12:34 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Exchange 2010 Migration Planning - Database Size?

I've been getting conflicting suggestions on the sensible maximum database size
to use when we go to Exchange 2010.

Initially we should be going with a single HT/CAS/MBX box with a view to
perhaps bringing in a DAG pretty soon.

Some people are suggesting 200gb is the biggest they'd let a single database
grow to, some MS docs suggest 2tb.

If I split our users across three databases we'd be well under 200gb per
database but if we increase mailbox quotas we may stray above.

Assuming proper storage/lots of IOPS/spindles etc. what is the "sweet spot"?

Between SAN snapshots and our backup software I'm not expecting RTO/RPO to be a
significant issue.

Thanks,
Paul

MIRA Ltd

Watling Street, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, CV10 0TU, England
Registered in England and Wales No. 402570
VAT Registration  GB 100 1464 84

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and are solely for the use of the
intended recipient.  If you receive this e-mail in error, please delete it and
notify us either by e-mail, telephone or fax.  You should not copy, forward or
otherwise disclose the content of the e-mail as this is prohibited.

or send an email to