I've read documentation indicating a fine tuned deleted
item retention policy and an enforceable mailbox quota policy should be
considered when looking at DB sizing as well.

Disclaimer: I'm not an exchange expert and currently have 3 DB's all under
200GB each. Also, interested in how other admins configure their deleted
item retention policy if different than the standard 30 day period.