Are you using Cisco VPN for this? I remember something about an issue
with Cisco VPN and outlook.

From: Michael B. Smith [mailto:mich...@smithcons.com]
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2011 9:50 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Too Many MAPI Connections

I spent a few minutes hunting for a reference on this (a Microsoft
reference I mean) and I can't locate it but I've seen this with both F5
and Cisco load balancers before. Generally, you increase the NAT or TCP
session lifetime on your firewall or LB, not the TCP Keepalive on the
Exchange servers themselves. I'm not 100% sure that your NW Engineer
understands what TCP Keepalive is. J

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/TCP-Keepalive-HOWTO/overview.html

"Too many MAPI connections" instead generally means that a single
account has too many active MAPI connections. This is generally because
a prior connection (or multiple prior connections) were ignored and a
new connection was created, or because of a program bug. NAT being torn
down too quickly would lead directly to this issue.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith

Consultant and Exchange MVP

http://TheEssentialExchange.com