From: Jim Holmgren [mailto:jholmg...@xlhealth.com]
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2011 9:58 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Too Many MAPI Connections

Thanks Michael,
A thought occurred to me as I was typing my question.  That seems to happen a
lot, I suspect it is the act of trying to organize thoughts to clearly convey
the issue to others that causes it.
Anyway,  we have a pair of Expand network compression devices on either end of
this link, and one of my other network guys implemented some throttling on
"Exchange" connections as they were taking up too much of the 10Mbps pipe
between us.  This was done a couple of months ago, but there were no immediate
issues reported.    I am betting those would be MAPI connections, and I'm
further wagering that they have added a significant number of new users in
India.
The pipe has been increased to 45Mbps, and the Expand devices are scheduled to
be removed during a maintenance window on Friday night.  I think I'm going to
sit tight until those devices are removed and see if that fixes the issue.

Jim