Ooooooo, please tell me more. I'm facing the same scenario, (only we're
under 2007 for the moment - migration to 2010 is in the works).

We have a team of recruiters who use a hosted app called Sendouts. There is
a client for the app that is installed locally and needs to be able to send
smtp mail from the workstations where it is installed.

I'd rather not have to manage static IP Addresses and associated transport
rules if I don't have to.

Thanks,

Jonathan A+, MCSA, MCSE

Thumb-typed from my HTC Droid Incredible (and yes, it really is) on the
Verizon network. Please excuse brevity and any misspellings.

On May 23, 2011 8:31 PM, "Michael B. Smith" <mich...@smithcons.com> wrote:
> I haven't tried this, so don't hold me to it - but I think you could
manage this with a transport rule. It might take two working together, but I
think you could make it happen.

> Regards,
>
> Michael B. Smith
> Consultant and Exchange MVP
> http://TheEssentialExchange.com

to the outside except from specific internal IPs via the Relay Connector.

> The problem I have is a network application being used that attempts to
send mail from the local workstation via an SMTP tool from within the "fat
client" of this application. The mail is attempting to send from the local
workstation. If I add the IP of the workstation to the allowed IP list, I am
sure Exchange will relay the mail just fine. But I don't relish the idea of
managing "static" IPs for these multiple machines, across various subnets.