20MB attachment limits.  We may have to bow under pressure and
reconsider when we complete the migration to 2010.
We strongly encourage sftp though.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Hornbuckle [mailto:john.hornbuc...@taylor.k12.fl.us]
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 11:35 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Best Practices for Attachment Size Limits

We have the standard 10-meg attachment size limit in place, and I was
wondering if we should reconsider. It actually doesn't seem to cause
much of a problem, but periodically we have a situation where someone is
trying to send/receive a file that's too big.

There were two main reasons for the limit.

One is that e-mail isn't a particularly efficient method for
transferring files, so big files should be transferred some other way.
But in this day and age, is 10 MB considered "big" anymore?

The second reason is that big files will fill up users' mailboxes
quickly, and our users have 250 MB quotas. Although the fact that I
don't too often hear complaints about the 10 MB limit makes me think
users aren't sending/receiving files of that size very often anyway--so
the mailbox size may not be a problem if I bump up the attachment size
limit.

I know situations vary from enterprise to enterprise, but I'm looking
for general best practices and pros/cons to increasing the limit.

John Hornbuckle, MSMIS, PMP
MIS Department
Taylor County School District
www.taylor.k12.fl.us