In Exchange 2003, we did it along the lines of

Store for surnames starting A-H. So we may have surnames A-H on server
1. This is for standard size mailboxes (upto 200mb) then we have on each
server a store for large mailbox users i.e over 200mb, for users with
surnames A-H

Server 2 will be I-N etc

We took the view if store A-H fell over it will be less to restore, less
users effected, most managers have over 200mb mailboxes

It's what ever fits the needs of the business.

John