On Wed, 23 May 2007, Jeroen van Aart wrote:

> Mike Cardwell wrote:
>  > I don't think this is possible within Exim it's self. You're probably
>  > best off just sticking it in your hosts file. Eg /etc/hosts:
>  >
>  > 222.333.444.555 smtp1.mydomain.org
>
> I tried this some time ago, but apparently exim would still find the
> internal ip as opposed to the one set in /etc/hosts. I was thinking
> telling exim to use "gethostbyname()" would solve this, but I may be
> wrong and it could break other things.

Yes, using gethostbyname would do what you want, but you will need a
special router for this; you probably do not want to set it on the
router that handles everything else.

Alternatively, you could use a manualroute router to route the domain
that resolves to smtp1.mydomain.org so that it routes directly to the
IP.