On 11 Mar 2021, at 15:59, Olaf Hopp (SCC) via Exim-users wrote:

Dear collegues,

my administration writes one(!) email with more than 3000 receipients
in the envelope. (Please, no discussion about the sense of this. Period.)

Receiving that mail takes about 2 two hours.
Delivering that mail is done very quick, as usual.

I started debugging this and I recognized that
after every "RCPT TO" it took a sucessive increasing time
until the "250 Accepted" was answered.
At the beginning this was a 10th of a second.
After 1000 recipients there was a delay of ~one second
after the 2000th recipients this delay increased smoothly
to 2 secends ofter each rcpt-to

I threw away all my bells and whistles in the exim config,
but no success.
[...]
Any ideas what's happening here ?

Check your config for ACL lines setting "ratelimit" and/or "delay". See examples at https://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-access_control_lists.html