Am 12.03.21 um 08:27 schrieb Andrew C Aitchison via Exim-users:

Any ideas what's happening here ?

The increasing delays remind me of the delays for failed logins.
Is there some sort of authentication, or similar pam or SMB access,
to check the existence of each recipient ?

i made a test mail with 3000 recipients in CC.

Exim is increasing it's CPU Usage the more recipients are used until 100% CPU Core usage is reached:

    PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
1378404 root      20   0   66084  55300  10632 R  98,7   1,1 8:59.99 /usr/sbin/exim -Mc 1lKd2y-005m5p-3V

I have a static linear timeframe from one recipient to another appearing in the log file, once the actual delivery from thunderbird ended. strace says, it's due to my SQL select i use. it would go faster if the SQL result would be cached, instead of repeating itself.

Conclusion:

a) the ( recipient ) listfunction in exim needs a redo, to improve performance.

This is a very basic list optimization problem, you learn in data structures at the university.

b) the setup in question has an additional problem, increasing the time exponential .

because the core is reaching 100%, it's at it's max.. at that point, things slow down even more.

c) time to make exim multi-threaded

best regards,
Marius