On 15/04/2023 21:38, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:
On 15/04/2023 13:53, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:

Exim does talk the inbound-proxy protocol tha HAProxy apparently uses (or can use): https://exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-proxies.html#SECTproxyInbound

Thinking further, this (HAProxy with Proxy-protocol as a frontend for an MTA, with the HAProxy routing based on SNI) has additional complications. Because the ESMTP connection has to (for port 25) negotiate TLS using STARTTLS, you're asking that HAProxy run that part of the ESMTP protocol, so that it can see the SNI.  It'd have to replay that ESMTP startup down the connection to the backend, as far as the TLS Client Hello - or be a full ESMTP endpoint.  I don't know if
it's that clever.

I think the question has evolved during this thread, and it's become obvious that HAProxy is not the best way to go about it. I'm not even sure why I was looking into the whole SNI stuff - as I'm only planning to use this solution for SMTP (server to server) - not submission SMTP (client to server). So all outside servers trying to deliver email would only be connecting to one MX FQDN for multiple recipient domains - the FQDN of the front-end machine. So in the end SNI shouldn't even come into it. Sorry for all the confusion.